Search This Blog

Sunday 12 May 2013

Preserving Funeral Flowers

I appreciate this is a sensitive subject however it is something that I am extremely proud of and to be honest most of my creations are based around sensitive and emotional events at the moment (for example my cremation jewellery and lock of hair jewellery). It gives me immense satisfaction that I have helped a family in such a way following their loss by preserving a flower from the funeral of a loved one.

It has only been recently that I have been asked to preserve flowers following a funeral; I have always been involved with the preservation of flowers from weddings and other occasions, but not funerals. I think it is probably due to the introduction of my custom made paperweights that give the option of not only preserving larger flowers, but provide the preservation of items within a non-jewellery related item.

This was my first paperweight that I have made containing a flower taken from a funeral. The domed shaped paperweight contains a single rose and was presented to a family member. With this piece I also included a name plaque, including a photograph within the presentation box lid.

Preserved funeral flower paperweight
Preserved funeral flower paperweight

I haven’t come across the use of oak leaves at funerals before although the leaves themselves are quite symbolic to many people. This was one of several leaves taken from the funeral coffin that I was asked to preserve within paperweights.

Oak Leaf Paperweight
Oak Leaf Paperweight

I had quite an emotional time when casting these paperweights; normally when I am preserving locks of hair and ashes from loved ones or pets I am able to distance myself from it. After all, I do not know the pets or people involved and I concentrate on making something that is beautiful. But somehow this was quite different for me; the flowers and leaves were symbolic of a funeral that took place and for me that had more of an impact on my emotions.

Please visit my real flower jewellery page for other examples of jewellery and paperweights containing real flowers.

Mick

3 comments:

  1. Wow, very powerful indeed. I am sure your customer will find comfort in the beauty you have created.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lynda, yes I was in two minds whether to make this blog post but I suppose it is all part of what I do!

    Mick

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous idea. We always tell customers to think of funerals as a celebration of the life rather than a sad occasion and this jewellery is such a great way to remember loved ones. I'm definitely going to recommend this to future customers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I do appreciate the time and trouble taken to comment and will publish as soon as possible.